Here is a brief life history of J.Jayalalitha from her birth till her demise. She was born on February 24, 1948 in Melukote town in Karnataka. Later, as a child actress she started her career in the film industry in the year 1961. This brief history about her shows all her steps from a child artist, actress, politician & Chief Minister of the state Tamil Nadu. As a single woman she won her journey till her last day.
- 1948: Born on February 24, 1948 in Melukote town in Karnataka.
- 1961: Started her film career as a child actress.
- 1965: Debuts as heroine in a Tamil film with Vennira Aadai. In the same year, she acts with M.G.Ramachandiran as heroine in another film.
- 1982: She becomes a member of MGR’s ADMK party and addresses first public gathering in Cuddalore, Tamil Nadu.
- 1983: Appointed as AIADMK propaganda secretary & campaigns in Thiruchendur by-election.
- 1984: Rift with MGR widens and was stripped off from several of her posts in the party.
- 1987: MGR death divides ADMK. One faction of supporters with MGR’s wife Janaki and other with AIADMK’s chief Jayalalithaa.
- 1988: Janaki becomes Tamilnadu’s Chief Minister but the state comes under President’s rule soon after.
- 1989: DMK sweeps polls; Janaki offers to quit party, clearing way for Jayalalitha. DMK, AIADMK clash in Tamilnadu assembly hall; Jayalalithaa swears to step inside assembly again only as Chief Minister.
- 1991: AIADMK-Congress thrashes DMK in polls; Jayalalitha is CM for the first time.
- 1996: AIADMK routed in polls; Jayalalithaa arrested in corruption case; 48 cases slapped on her & her close aide Sasikala.
- 2001: Makes second return as Chief Minister of Tamilnadu, but Supreme Court of India unseats her because of her corruption case. O. Panneerselvam named as CM.
- 2003: Allowed to contest elections; wins from Andipatti constituency and becomes Chief Minister again.
- 2006: Defeated by DMK alliance in polls; leader of opposition till 2011.
- 2011: Returns as Chief Minister for third time; rift with Sasikala widens.
- 2014: Convicted and sentenced by court in disproportionate assets case.
- 2015: Misses court acquittal, paving way for her return as Chief Minister.
- 2016: Elected for a consecutive 2nd term. Treated for fever and dehydration at Apollo hospital. Suffers cardiac arrest. Dies at ate 68 on December 5, 2016
Inputs from network18online